Friday, December 10, 2010

Signature Scents

Do people actually have signature scents anymore? I feel like everyone I know, men included, has at least two or three scents that they wear, rotating them in and out, but most people don't just have ONE scent that they wear day in and day out. It's not like women (at least the women I know) have their day scent and their evening scent anymore, which alludes to a much simpler, more traditional time, when evening was the only appropriate time for seduction to arise.

Here are some of my favorites, I've even researched them a bit (descriptions are from Sephora.com) to provide top-notes and the like so you can get a better sense of the perfumes.

#1 (possibly all time favorite, ever) Dolce & Gabbana #3 L'Imperatrice (The Empress): top notes: rhubarb, kiwi accord & red currant; heart: pink cyclamen, watermelon, & jasmine; base: musk, sandalwood & grapefruit wood. Light, floral/fruity, very girly. My only issue with this scent is how quickly it disappears off the skin. I don't really mind though, I'd bathe in this one. On my second bottle, and they're decently sized.

#2 (definitely the one I get the most compliments on) Acqua di Gio pour homme: notes of: marine notes, mandarin, bergamot, neroli, persimmon, rosemary, nasturtium, jasmine, amber, patchouli and citrus. I know this is a cologne, but I literally have been stopped on the street, in line at CVS and by friends in class when I wear this. I don't know what it is about it.

#3 (my "signature" from 16 to about 19, also my first "serious" perfume) Chance by Chanel: notes of: white musk, pink pepper, jasmine, fresh vetiver, citrus, iris and patchouli. I first smelled this at rehearsal for a Marilyn Izdebski show, I think it was Annie, and Lily Harowitz, a girl who went to my school, busted this out. I thought it was the most fabulous smell in the world. My mom got me my first bottle for my 16th birthday, and I've been buying it faithfully ever since. I think I'm on my third big bottle. I still love it.

#4 (reminds me of Hawaii, the beach, and all things summer & relaxing) Ralph by Ralph Lauren HOT: notes of: mocha, cream, cinnamon and maple. I think it's hilarious that these are the main notes in this scent, because to me it smells like spicy coconuts. Literally like the beach in the middle of the summer, when it's hottest, with the Hawaiian Tropic tanning lotion scent hanging low in the air. Fabulous, even it is a little kitschy.

#5 (this is my newest but it's fresh and so nice on days I'm feeling schlumpfy) Garden of Good & Eva: notes of: pear, watermelon, ozone accords, muguet, rosebud, jasmine petals, green violet leaves, freesia, sandalwood, musk, cedarwood. This is one of their newer perfumes, and I love it, from the bottle to the scent. (the bottle looks like a mini martini shaker!) So cute on my vanity!

#6 (the best Benefit scent ever, and I've smelled them all) Laugh with Me Lee Lee: notes of: cassis, melon, black violet, jasmine, blonde wood, amber, santal. I love this. My best friend and I absolutely love this perfume. I bought it first, told her she had to go smell it, she went and was gift shopping for a friend but couldn't resist buying it for herself as well. Such a great smelling perfume. So pretty.

#7 (love this, I always smell this on my older brother's girlfriend and it stops me) Coco Mademoiselle: notes of: orange, bergamot, jasmine petals, morning rose, patchouli and vetiver. Again, one of my first serious fragrances and one that I have bought so, so many times over.

#8 (great scent, but I think I might be allergic to something in it) Beachy by Lilly Pulitzer: notes of: watermelon, citrus, marine air accord, jasmine, tiare flower, frangipani, salt crystals, amber and vanilla. I'm not sure why, but I sneeze a little bit every time I wear this, which makes me sad, because I love it. I'm noticing a major pattern, 7 out of 8 of these scents have jasmine in them as one of the main notes. Hmmm, think I like jasmine?

This is by no means an exhaustive list of great fragrances, hell, it's not even a complete list of all the perfumes I own, but these are some of my favorites. Definitely the ones I keep coming back to, at least. I'm on my third bottle of Chance, third of Coco, second of D&G and second of LeeLee. I don't know that I understand the obsession with fragrance, I know we all want to smell good, but I couldn't tell you why I need upwards of 12 perfumes. I love me some perfume, and I love pretty bottles on my vanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment