Sunday, January 2, 2011

beauty wanderings

This is going to be sort of a ramble. I'm in bed sick and have been thinking quite a bit. First of all, I was told that I looked great last night, even though I've been in bed for days in and out of sleep. I've never been told that I looked great while sick before. It occurred to me that the only thing I've been really paying attention to is my skin. I'm convinced that even if you're deathly ill, if your skin looks decent, so do you. Healthy looking skin really keeps you looking better than almost anything else. I think if nothing else, having clean skin, nails and hair will make you look better even if you feel like crap. That being said, I'm definitely on another skin care kick. I've rotated out my Clinique Moisture Surge and am trying the Ole Henricksen Sheer Transformation creme. So far, so good, it's supposed to help deal with hyperpigmentation and the like, and while I can't say if it's done that, I've only been using it a few days, I do like the moisturizer. It's lightweight and soft and leaves my skin feeling hydrated and smooth. I've even started using it on my neck and chest instead of my Benefit Firmology.

Second, I'm currently obsessed with OPI's Ski Teal We Drop. I love it on long nails, short nails, it's a freaking fantastic color. Not too blue and not too green. It's a perfect cream, and it's glossy and rich. You can definitely get away with only one coat, but I prefer two. While we're on the subject of nail polish, I want to talk about top coats. Seche Vite has had everyone's hearts for quite some time, but I have to say I have a bone to pick with it. Yes, Seche Vite dries super fast and makes your nails glossy and hard to chip. But, it also makes your nails prone to peel. Yes, peel. I've noticed that because it seems to have a thicker consistency than most top coats, it can cause your polish to actually peel off in chunks rather than chip. I'm not a fan of my nail polish peeling off. Other than that, it is a decent top coat, but that's a pretty hard to look past when it's supposed to make your nails last longer. Hmm. So at the moment I'm favoring OPI's top coat, just plain old top coat. It works fine for me. I don't expect manicures to last too long on me, since I'm always picking at something or other. That being said, one coat of OPI's base coat, two coats of Ski Teal We Drop and one coat of top coat works wonders for my nails.

I've been using a new shampoo and conditioner lately, the Pantene Pro V Beautiful Lengths frizz control. I like it quite a bit, it keeps my hair manageable and works well with my Bumble & Bumble tonic/prep sprays and my Biosilk serum. The line also has a leave in conditioner that I'm liking, especially since I've been back in the water over the last couple of weeks teaching. The pool kills my hair like nothing else, it's terrible. I'm always looking for a great leave-in conditioner, so if anyone knows of one, hit me uppp!!!

I have a minor obsession with Victoria's Secret body lotion in Love Spell. I'm not entirely sure why, it's one of those scents that easily err on the side of 'baby prostitute' but can also be quite lovely. I definitely bought three tubes of it the other day. I've been seriously into lotions for the body and hands recently, the pool not only kills my hair but my skin, as well. I've been loving using Neosporin cream with Burt's Bees Cuticle Butter with either Neutrogena Swiss Hand cream or Burt's Bees Shea Butter Hand cream. The Burt's Bees hand cream has quite a strong smell, very herbal, and while it does make my hands very soft, can also easily feel quite greasy. I use this combination at night only, so my hands can really soak up the moisture and have time to repair without being interrupted by the day time tasks of dishes, washing hands etc. Anyway, that's my ramble for today, while I'm sick in bed. I haven't been using much make up, duh, and so I haven't really got anything new and exciting for you all. Off I go to rest in bed with The Tudors on dvd.

No comments:

Post a Comment